October 4, 2010

Black Bean & Sweet Potato Quesadilla

I recently went to a restaurant in downtown Ann Arbor called Sava. This restaurant is a vegetarian restaurant and I must say it is AMAZING. I ordered their Black Bean & Sweet Potato Quesadilla. I was unsure about this combination at first and hesitant to order it, but I am glad I did. It was delicious and if anyone visits downtown Ann Arbor I would definably recommend it. Last night though I was craving something yummy for dinner and while rummaging through my cabinets remembered this dish. I threw some ingredients together and came up with a tasty alternative.
Ingredients
4 burrito sized flour tortillas
210g (approx.) roasted sweet potato with skin removed
1 tsp. vegetable or olive oil
1/2 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. cumin
Juice from one lime wedge
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 - 1/2 jalapeno pepper diced
1/2 cup 2% cheddar cheese shredded
Directions
Place sweet potato in the oven and bake at 400' for 40-60 mins. When tender remove potato from the oven and let cool. Remove the insides of the potato into a microwave save bowl and mash them with a fork or a potato masher. If the potato isn't mashing well place in the microwave for a few additional minutes until tender enough to mash.

Heat oil in small saute pan. Add onions. Stir occasionally. Once onions have become slightly caramelized remove from heat and add them to the bowl with the mashed potato. Add black beans, cumin, lime juice, and salt and pepper. Continue mashing until all ingredients are well blended.

Place 1/4 of the mixture onto each tortilla. Spread evenly over 1/2 of the tortilla. Top with 1/8 cup shredded cheese. Fold tortilla over an place in a fry pan sprayed with cooking spray. Cook both sides until lightly brown.

Cut in wedges and serve with sour cream and/or salsa.

Serving Size: 1/2 recipe (2 Quesadilla's)
Calories: 506.25
Fat: 15.5 grams
Cholesterol: 20 milligrams
Sodium: 1280 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 82.5 grams
Fiber: 11.5 grams
Sugar: 5.25 grams
Protein: 15.5 gram
Points: 11

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds SO GOOD! I'm going to have to try making it. It seems like I had something similar at a restaurant called Earwax (I know.. how appetizing!) in Chicago. I think it had some avocado dressing on it, too (more calories..): http://mizubara.xanga.com/photos/1715e94562790

It was really great, hanging out with you, yesterday. I hope we can do that again, soon! It's going to be cold soon, so we need to get on finding those snowshoes!

-April

P.S.
Here's the Butt Tree:
http://mizubara.xanga.com/weblogpreview/?nextdate=12%2f14%2f2006+12%3a11%3a56.297&direction=n

Post a Comment