November 14, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake Steel Cut Oats

Lately I have been experimenting with steel cut oats. I am not a big fan of them, normally I could take them or leave them, but they are nutritious and perfect to eat when I get to work since I can make a few days worth at a time. Finally I have found a way to cook them that is delicious. This recipe reminds me of strawberry shortcake. The best part is that I was able to turn the steel cut oats in to more of a dessert without adding tons of calories. YUM!
Ingredients
1 cup steel cut oats
4 cups water
1 - 1lb. bag of frozen strawberries (4 reserved for garnish)
4 tbs. Splenda

Directions
In a sauce pan bring water to a boil.

Stir in steel cut oats. Once added reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 25-30 minutes (or to desired consistency)

Once oats are done stir in splenda and strawberries, breaking up the strawberries with spoon as you stir. Once mixed well separate into 4 dishes, garnish with a strawberry.

Serving Size: 1/4 recipe
Calories: 187.5
Fat: 2 grams
Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Sodium: 0 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 36.75 grams
Fiber: 5.5 grams
Sugar: 7.75 grams
Protein: 5 gram
Points: 3

0 comments:

Post a Comment