September 15, 2010

Souffle Omelet with Balsamic Strawberries

I found this recipe while browsing for something new to try (recipe here). The picture looked amazing. When I got down to the ingredients list I have to admit I became scared. I thought to myself that this was either going to be an amazing recipe or a disgusting one. I was pretty convinced that it would not be something in between. I bought the ingredients to make it, and it took a few days for me to build up enough guts ( I really was expecting it to be gross) but to my surprise it was AMAZING !!! The egg is really light and fluffy. The sweetness reminded me more of a big pancake then an egg. This recipe reminded me of eating a dessert like strawberry shortcake. I will definitely be making this again.

Ingredients

8 oz. fresh strawberries, steams cut off and quartered

1 tablespoon fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint (more or less to taste)

½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar

2 teaspoon granulated sugar, divided

2 large eggs, separated

¼ teaspoon Vanilla

1 tablespoon butter (use 2 tablespoons if you are making two omelets)


Directions

In bowl, combine strawberries, mint, vinegar and 1½ teaspoons of the granulated sugar; set aside. In small bowl, whisk egg yolks with vanilla and remaining ½ teaspoon granulated sugar for 1 minute or until slightly thickened. In bowl of electric mixer, beat egg whites until they form soft peaks. With rubber spatula, fold yolks into whites until no streaks remain. In 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt butter. (To make 2 individual omelets, use 6-inch nonstick skillet.) When butter is sizzling, add egg mixture, spreading it into an even layer with spatula. Cover pan; reduce heat to low. Cook omelet 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown on bottom and barely set on top. Spoon strawberries down center of omelet; with spatula, fold omelet in half over filling. Slide omelet onto plate; dust with confectioners’ sugar

Recipe makes 2 servings

Serving Size: 1 omelet
Calories: 196.5
Fat: 9.25 grams
Cholesterol: 210 milligrams
Sodium: 120.5 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 17.25 grams
Fiber: 2.25 grams
Sugar: 13.5 grams
Protein: 7 gram
Points: 4

0 comments:

Post a Comment