September 7, 2010

Pico De Gallo

I created this recipe because I love Pico de Gallo but because I dislike raw onions and peppers I thought this was a recipe I could improve on. This recipe is really good. I really enjoyed the balance of sweet and spicy. Steaming the peppers and onions really brought out their sweet flavors. I could eat this recipe by the spoonful.

Ingredients

3- 4 diced tomatoes (aprox. 4 cups)

1 finely chopped white onion

1 cup fresh chopped cilantro

2 finely chopped banana peppers (or any in season sweet pepper)

1 finely chopped green bell pepper

1 finely chopped Cu banelle pepper (or any in season sweet pepper)

1 lime, zest and juice

1 teaspoon sugar

fresh cracked pepper to taste


Directions

Dice onion, banana peppers, green bell pepper, and cubanelle pepper. Once diced place into a microwave steamer and place in the microwave for 5 minutes or until onions and peppers are slightly cooked. Remove and let cool.

In a large bowl mix onions and peppers with the remaining ingredients.

Stir well and chill approximately 30 minutes before serving.

Recipe makes 14 servings

Serving Size: ½ cup
Calories: 17
Fat: 0 grams
Cholesterol: 0 milligrams
Sodium: 3.5 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 4 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sugar: 1.5 grams
Protein: .5 gram
Points: 0


0 comments:

Post a Comment